- 2 cup farro, dry
- 5 cup organic low sodium, kosher, free-range chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/3 cup fresh yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh celery, diced
- 4 cup fresh cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt coarse
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 fresh plum tomato
- 3 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, aged 24 months, wheel
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
Cook farro in water, vegetable or chicken broth. Drain and reserve the liquid. Set aside.
In a deep skillet place 2 tablespoons of the canola oil, and the chopped onions, the diced carrot, mushrooms and celery, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time to coat them well. Using some of the reserved liquid to avoid burning. When vegetables are soft add the cooked farro, stirring quickly and thoroughly until the grains are coated well.
When the farro has absorbed the liquid, add the thawed frozen peas and the diced tomatoes. Off the heat, add all the grated Parmesan cheese, and stir thoroughly until the cheese melts and clings to the grain. If mixture is getting dry add more broth for creaminess. Mix in the shredded basil. Transfer to a platter and serve promptly.